Pages

Monday, 12 April 2010

Braques Statement

 "My habit of keeping a notebook of designs began in 1918. Before I drew on scraps of paper which I lost.Then I said to myself that it was necessary to keep a notebook. Since, I always have a notebook within reach, and I draw no matter what, I preserve everything that passes through my head. And I was aware that all that served me well. There are times when one has the desire to paint, but knows not what to paint. I don't know what is the cause of this but there are moments when one feels empty. There is a great appetite to work and then my sketchbook serves me as a cookbook when i am hungry. I open it and the least of the sketches can offer me material for work.
 I make the background of my canvases with the greatest of care because it is the ground that supports the  rest; it is like the foundations of a house. I am always very occupied and preoccupied with the material because there is as much sensitivity in the technique as in the rest of the painting. I prepare my own colors, I do the pulverizing... I work with the material, not with ideas.
 In my painting I always return to the center. I am the contrary, therefore,to one I should call  'symphoniste'.  In symphony the theme approaches the infinite; there are painters (Bonnard is an example) who develop their themes to the infinite.There is in their canvases something like diffuse light, while with me, on the contrary, I attempt to reach the core of intensity;
I concentrate. "

From Georges Braque's  notebook.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,
I'm trying out the "comment" feature on your blog to see if I do it properly. Thanks for the reference to George Braque. It's been a long time since I studied him in Art History class, but I remember being very impressed not only by his artwork, but by the man himself and his relationship with Picasso.

PS, I see you admire Rothko. There is a dramatic play called "Red" about him, his passionate views about the role of the artist, the function of art, etc. which I believe was first staged in London and is now running in New York. It looks fascinating and is getting some very good reviews.

-Carmen

Anonymous said...

PSS... and one of these days I'll train my typing fingers that Mr. Braque's first name has an "s" at the end... i.e., GeorgeS Braque as in Georges Bizet, etc. :-)